Gingerbread Cookies, Best Spiced Biscuits For This Holiday Season
The smell of ginger, cinnamon and cloves in the house immediately brings up a festive mood! Try this easy recipe and celebrate the day with spiced and delicious cookies! You can also pack them in a nice box and give as a yummy gift to friends and family.
This recipe is easily adjustable to your preferences. For example, substitute butter with the lactose free version or caster sugar with ground brown sugar.
- Butter (at room temperature) – 100 g
- Caster Sugar (I use ground brown sugar) – 100 g
- Egg – 1 pcs
- Honey (runny) – 3 tsp
- Flour (sifted) – 200 g, plus for dusting
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Ground Dried Ginger (Ginger Powder) – 2 tsp
- Ground Cloves (Cloves Powder) – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon (Cinnamon Powder) – 1 tsp
- Ground Cardamom (Cardamom Powder)- 1 tsp
- A pinch of Salt
- Firstly, mix the butter and sugar with a stand mixer or a hand mixer until fluffy and light colour.
- Then, add an egg and the honey, and mix again with the mixer until smooth.
- In separate bowl, mix together the sifted flour, baking powder, ground dried ginger, ground clove, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder and a pinch of salt.
- Add you aromatic flour mixture to the butter mixture and knead a smooth dough. The dough might be a little bit sticky, but don’t worry, after it cools down in the fridge, it will be just fine!
- Wrap the dough with a cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ˚C (Conventional).
- Roll the dough to 4-5 mm thickness on the surface dusted with a bit of flour. You can also roll the dough directly on the baking paper.
- Using your favourite shapes and cookie cutters, cut out the cookies.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and carefully place your cookies on it.
- Bake in the oven on the middle shelf for approximately 7-10 min. Keep an eye on them, so that they don’t burn!
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool off completely. Finally, if you want, you can decorate them with the royal icing for its signature festive look. As you can see from the photos, my cookie cutter have a recognizable gingerbread men shape, so I usually skip the decor part. :)
- Store you delicious cookies in an airtight container.