The “Royal Walk” is an extraordinary hiking trail on the top of the Männlichen mountain. After only 30 min of easy hiking you’ll be rewarded with a Royal Sight of the UNESCO World Heritage Jungfrau-Aletsch – the largest glaciated region in Eurasia.
This incredible trail starts at the top of the aerial cableway Wengen – Männlichen and leads up to a big “crown”. The crown, in fact, is a panoramic platform that was build up in 2015. It took us approximately half an hour of easy ascent from the Männlichen Aerial Cableway to reach it.
There are seven information points on the way up – The King’s Gate, The Legacy, The Treasury, Royal Ties, The Court Painter, The Secret Sovereign, The Royal Court. Each of them tells interesting facts about the Alps in the Jungfrau Region, Glaciers and the knots used in Alpine climbing.
Surprisingly, this gorgeous trail had very few people. In fact, it was almost empty. That made the walk particularly peaceful and relaxing.
And what a view was waiting for us at the crown – majestic 360◦ panoramas and spectacular scenery of over 20 mountains, including famous Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. Indeed, I needed a moment to breathe and take it all in.
Good to know:
- Location: The “Royal Walk” and the Royal View Crown are located on the top of Männlichen.
- How to reach: Männlichen can be reached by aerial cableway via Lauterbrunnen/Wengen or aerial gondola from the Grindelwald side.
- We went up from Wengen, so our road was: Zurich – Bern – Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen by trains; then the aerial cableway Wengen – Männlichen.
- The travel time from Zurich to Männlichen by public transportation would take approximately 3 hours.
- Traveling by car would take around 2h30min. You can check the google map below.
Ascent Wengen–Männlichen 8:30–16:50, every 20 minutes.
Descent Männlichen–Wengen 8:30–17:10, every 20 minutes.
- Prices for Wengen–Männlichen Aerial Cableway:
Round trip Wengen-Männlichen – 48 CHF;
50% discount for 1/2-Fare Card, GA Travel Card, children (age 6 to 15).
More info about prices for the cableway -> Tariffs for Wengen–Männlichen Aerial Cableway
- Check the weather condition. The best views would be when the skies are clear, however, a little bit of high clouds are also not too bad.
Avalanche defences at Männlichen.
Unfortunately, nature is not always so peaceful and beautiful. Where mountains are, there are avalanches. Avalanches are the major natural hazards in that region, and they are very dangerous by threatening to destroy roads, houses and people. Since 1970, the authorities of Wengen have been implementing the projects of avalanche barriers.
The Avalanches defences include three main structures:
- Snow bridges and snow nets – prevent avalanches from forming by securing the release zone.
- Tree-leg mountings – increase ground roughness and protect against snow glide in avalanche release zones.
- Avalanche protection forest – form a natural barrier against avalanches.
Amazing, isn’t it? :)
It was an incredible unwinding trip and a remarkable discovery in the Jungfrau region, that in general, has so much to offer for everyone. The activities, the views, the energy are incredible. It is an excellent destination for a weekend or holidays all year long.
Finally, If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us. GET IN TOUCH