Rheinfalls (Rhine Falls in English) is the largest plain waterfall in Europe!
Magnificent and breathtaking nature miracle! The age of the waterfall is between 14 000 and 17 000 years.
- Width of the waterfall is 150 m
- Height of the waterfall is 23 m
- Depth of the waterfall is 13 m
The waterfall is located between Zurich and Schaffhausen. By train, you can first go to Winterthur, from there take a train to Neuhausen direction till the train station “Schloss Laufen”. Schloss Laufen is a castle on the hill next to the waterfall. I actually started my tour from the castle because the Visitor Centre is located there.
Good to know:
- The Visitor Centre working hours: September, October, April, May 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. June, July, August: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Prices: Schloss Laufen, lifts and Historama – 5 CHF for adults.
- There are different options for the boats. The one way boat road is 2 CHF, to the rocks in the middle of the waterfall is 10 CHF.
- Check the weather report before your trip, the best views of course when it is sunny.
- Comfortable shoes is a must.
Besides the Visitor Centre, on the castle’s territory you can also find a souvenir shop and a bistro. You can walk along the steep path all the way down from the castle to the river. There are a lot of small sitting spots for resting or taking pictures. Don’t miss a small cave at the end of the road which leads to the lowest spot, where it feels like you can almost touch the water, but don’t try to do it! The feeling is amazing there and the power of falling water is incredible! After that you can take a boat to another side of the river. There are many nice restaurants for a coffee-break or for dinner. It’s also possible to walk around the waterfall, and come back to the castle from another side.
I hope you’ll enjoy this spectacular and POWERFUL place!
As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me -> GET IN TOUCH