The “Royal Walk” is an extraordinary trail on the top of the Männlichen mountain. After just 25-35 min of easy hiking you’ll be rewarded with a Royal Sight of the UNESCO World Heritage Jungfrau-Aletsch – the largest glaciated region in Eurasia.
The “Royal Walk” is an amazing trail, which is located on the top of Männlichen. It goes from the aerial cableway Wengen – Männlichen up to a big “crown”. This attraction is quite new. The crown was settled up in 2015. It took me approximately 25-35 minutes of easy ascent from the Männlichen Aerial Cableway to reach the crown.
The way to the crown leads trough seven information points: The King’s Gate, The Legacy, The Treasury, Royal Ties, The Court Painter, The Secret Sovereign, The Royal Court. Each of them tells interesting facts about the Alps in the Jungfrau Region, Glaciers and the knots used in Alpine climbing.
SURPRISINGLY, THE ATTRACTION WASN’T CROWDED, IN FACT, IT WAS ALMOST EMPTY. MAYBE THAT’S WHY IT WAS PARTICULARLY QUITE AND PEACEFUL.
When I reached the crown, I became speechless for a moment because of majestic view – 360◦ panorama, and a spectacular scenery of over 20 mountains including world-famous Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau.
Good to know:
- Location: The “Royal Walk” and the Royal View crown are located on the top of Männlichen.
- How to reach: Männlichen can be reached by aerial cableway via Lauterbrunnen/Wengen or aerial gondola from the Grindelwald side.
- I went up from Wengen, so my road was: Zurich – Bern – Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen by trains; then the aerial cableway Wengen – Männlichen.
- The travel time from Zurich to Männlichen is approximately 3 hours.
- Prices: without GA or 1/2-Fare Card traveling might be a bit expensive. For example, the road described above would cost around 200 CHF. Therefore, I recommend to check the special offers for the mountains trips and day passes.
- The tickets, timetables, prices and special offers you can find on SBB.ch
- Summer Timetable for Wengen–Männlichen Aerial Cableway:
Untill 23 October 2016.
Ascent Wengen–Männlichen 8:30–16:50, every 20 minutes.
Descent Männlichen–Wengen 8:30–17:10, every 20 minutes.
More information about summer timetable is here
- Winter Timetable for Wengen–Männlichen Aerial Cableway:
December 10, 2016 – February 3, 2017.
Ascent Wengen–Männlichen 8:30–16:15.
The last departure from Männlichen is at 16:30.
More information about winter timetable is here
- Prices for Wengen–Männlichen Aerial Cableway:
Round trip – 44 CHF;
1/2-Fare Card, GA Travel Card, children (age 6 to 15) – 22 CHF.
More info about prices for the cableway -> Tariffs for Wengen–Männlichen Aerial Cableway
- Check the weather condition. The best view will when the weather is sunny, however, a little bit of the high clouds are also not too bad.
Avalanche defences at Männlichen.
Unfortunately, nature is not always so peaceful and beautiful. Where mountains are, there are avalanches. Avalanches are the major natural hazards in that region, and they are very dangerous by threatening to destroy roads, houses and people. Since 1970 the authorities of Wengen have been implementing the projects of avalanche barriers.
The Avalanches defences include three main structures:
- Snow bridges and snow nets – prevent avalanches from forming by securing the release zone.
- Tree-leg mountings – increase ground roughness and protect against snow glide in avalanche release zones.
- Avalanche protection forest – form a natural barrier against avalanches.
I found an interesting information from Municipality of Lauterbrunnen about Avalanche defenses at Männlichen. It includes thee projects: Schnürlaui, Gratlücke and Mossenegg, which contain all thee defence structures described above.
There are some facts about the projects:
- 11,462 – linear meters of avalanche barriers;
- 1957 – three-leg mountings;
- 13,792 – saplings;
- 140,500 man hours;
- 20 million CHF invested;
The three avalanche defences provide protection for:
- 41 residential buildings;
- 215 inhabitants;
- 1394 m roads;
- 82,580 m2 land for development.
Amazing, isn’t it? :)
You have a few days of a nice autumn weather left for a great hike on the hiking trails of Männlichen. The cablecar Grindelwald Männlichen and the aerial cableway Wengen Männlichen are open until October 23rd, 2016.
You can find the open hiking trails here -> hiking trails on Männlichen
However, if you didn’t have a chance to see the Royal View in autumn, don’t worry. Mänlichen is a great destination for weekend or holidays all year long. I think, winter activities are also fantastic there.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me -> GET IN TOUCH