baselworld is one of the biggest exhibitions in the watch MAKING and jewellery industries.
The top leading companies unveil their novelties and state-of-the-art technologies in front of the audience from all over the world. Furthermore, the exhibition is a unique meeting place for communication, information exchange and feedbacks. Impressively, this year the fair brings together 650 brands, among those 130 Swiss brands, representing watchmaking, jewellery and industry suppliers.
Baselworld 2018 is heading for prioritizing quality over quantity. It’s more than ever concentrated on the best in the industry. Distinctly, the top watchmakers feel more confident this year as the market is rising comparing to the previous couple of years. For instance, top 5 main markets for Swiss wristwatches are China (+18,8%), Hong Kong (+6%), United Kingdom (+7%), USA (-4,4%), Japan (-2,6%). Thus, demonstrates the dynamic growth of export to Asia, which now equals to the 50% of worldwide distribution of Swiss wristwatches.
Hublot loves football
Within the exhibition Hublot presented a new connected watch the Big Bang Referee 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™. This is the football watch, and the Official FIFA Watch. It not only displays how many days left until the championship, but also will send notifications during the tournament about scores and games. Furthermore, there are interchangeable straps with the colours of the teams. As well as the “fan” dials in the colours of each participating nation. Limited to 2018 pieces, the watch is available from 1st of May, 2018 in Hublot stores.
More novelties from Hublot:
- BIG BANG UNICO RED MAGIC. Hublot creates the first vibrantly coloured ceramic watch. This is a limited edition with just 500 pieces released. Its 45 mm case and bezel are made from Hublot’s patented red ceramic. In addition, the flange, indexes, minute and seconds counters, Arabic numerals and hands all match this hue. Finally, a lined structured red rubber strap completes the matching look of the watch.
- BIG BANG SAPPHIRE TOURBILLON. The new Big Bang Sapphire Tourbillon is completely transparent, including the case, dial, strap and tourbillon movement. And even more, the crystalline connections disappear to reveal the skeleton mechanics of the tourbillon, for which the cage is held in place by a strip cut from sapphire.
- CLASSIC FUSION CHRONOGRAPH BERLUTI SCRITTO. The Classic Fusion Berluti chronograph fuses the vibrant colour of Burgundy red with King Gold, and the depth of ocean blue with titanium. As you know, Venezia Scritto, the signature leather of the House of Berluti. In this case, calf leather engraved with a special writing inspired by the calligraphy of the 18th century.
PATEK PHILIPPE LAUNCHES A NEW MANUALLY WOUND LADIES’ CHRONOGRAPH
The watch has elegant, round rose-gold case with a diameter of 38 mm featuring a bezel set with 72 diamonds. The silvery opaline dial also combines a contemporary style with classic aesthetics, showcasing sculpted Breguet hour and minute hands in rose gold. To complete its luxurious look, the watch worn on a shiny mink-gray alligator leather strap secured with a rose-gold prong buckle that also sparkles with the fire of 27 diamonds.
PATEK PHILIPPE WORLD TIME MINUTE REPEATER
For the very first time, a minute repeater sounds local time anywhere in the world. As a trailblazing innovation, this unique watch is endowed with a World Time minute repeater, that in contrast to all other watches of this type, strikes local time rather than home time and can be conveniently set to the respective time zone with a separate pusher. Controlling the hour strike to one-second accuracy via the 24-hour display of the World Time mechanism is a horological feat that has never been accomplished so consummately and for which a patent application has been filed. This achievement is credited to the new self-winding caliber R 27 HU movement that consists of 462 parts. And it is crafted in the manufacture’s haute horlogerie workshops.
TAG Heuer celebrates its watchmaking heritage and spirit of innovation.
TAG HEUER CARRERA CHRONOGRAPH GMT.
Marking the 55th anniversary of Heuer Carrera, the brand unveiled a new TAG Heuer Carrera. It has a Heuer 02 manufacture movement and a GMT function. The second time zone can be adjusted with the crown, is read using the lacquered red hand and the black-blue ceramic bezel, which has a 24-hour GMT scale. In addition, this timepiece is water-resistant up to 100 metres.
TAG HEUER CARRERA “TÊTE DE VIPÈRE” CHRONOGRAPH TOURBILLON CHRONOMETER.
The first TAG Heuer chronograph to bear the prestigious “Tête de Vipère” stamp of excellence, awarded by the Besançon Observatory. Since 2006, only 500 watches have received this highly exclusive certification. A brand new limited edition of 155 pieces released to celebrate 55 years since the Heuer Carrera was created. The movement is housed in a magnificent midnight blue ceramic case, complemented by a ceramic bezel and lugs. The “Tête de Vipère” stamp has been applied to the bridge, visible through the sapphire crystal of the case back.
TAG HEUER TEAMS UP WITH BAMFORD WATCH DEPARTMENT.
TAG Heuer and Bamford Watch Department unveiled a brand-new interpretation of iconic Monaco, with its on-trend visual identity making it a contemporary classic. The first official in-house built collaboration watch, only available for purchase in TAG Heuer boutiques and online stores in available countries. The iconic Monaco is made in a solid carbon case, with an elegant full black dial and aqua blue chronograph counters.
TAG HEUER FORMULA 1 LADY.
The brand took the opportunity of Baselworld to expand the collection of TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lady with new summer colours. The case, in polished and brushed steel or with black PVD coating, with an elegant diameter of 32 or 35 mm. The main new feature of this model is the interchangeable straps. Switch from sporty to classic in one click. Thus, these beautiful watches perfectly fit to the dynamic lifestyle of the modern ladies.
Rolex is introducing its latest timepieces in its OYSTER Collection
GMT-MASTER II. Rolex is introducing three new versions of the GMT-Master II with a brand new movement. The first new version combines an Oyster case and Jubilee bracelet with a bidirectional rotatable bezel. Additionally, a 24-hour graduated two-colour Cerachrom insert in red and blue ceramic. Two further versions bring 18 ct Everose gold to the GMT-Master II range, along with a two-colour Cerachrom insert in brown and black ceramic.
OYSTER PERPETUAL COSMOGRAPH DAYTONA. On this new 18 ct Everose gold version, in lieu of the emblematic tachymetric scale, the bezel is set with a gradation of sapphires in rainbow hues. So, the case is adorned with 56 brilliant-cut diamonds set into the lugs and crown guard. Moreover, the dial features 11 baguette-cut sapphire hour markers, each of which matches the colour of the corresponding point on the bezel. The chronograph counters are in pink Gold Crystals, a material with a particular shimmer effect. Like all Rolex watches, the new Cosmograph Daytona carries the Superlative Chronometer certification.
OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 31. The new generation of the Oyster Perpetual Datejust 31 has redesigned case sides and lugs. In 18 ct white, yellow or Everose gold, the new versions are equipped with calibre 2236. Amongst the many combinations available, one, in 18 ct white gold, is fitted with a white mother-of-pearl dial and a diamond-set bezel.
Corum brings together jewellery, watchmaking and architecture.
- CORUM AND JOACHIM HORSLEY LIGHT UP THE FOLIES BERGÈRE. It is the first Corum watch to feature a metallic decoration on its sapphire case back. It depicts an extract from the original score of Beethoven’s 7th Symphony. These exquisite timepieces will be available in white gold and pink gold.
- ROMVLVS 44 ANNUAL CALENDAR. The diameter of the watch has been increased to 44 mm, emphasising more than ever the pink gold and rubber bezel. While the back of the piece reveals the watchwords of “URBS” (city in Latin), as well as the profile of a legionnaire. It is presented in a limited edition of 25 pieces.
- BUBBLE CENTRAL TOURBILLON. First of all, the watch is generously proportioned. The Bubble’s 47 mm provide ample space for the tourbillon to fully express itself. Another peculiarity, there’s the central position of the tourbillon, a complex technical choice, since it requires an inline movement construction.
- GOLDEN BRIDGE ROUND. The two gold bridges that frame its baguette movement are paved with diamonds, as is the flange. These versions feature 76 Wesselton diamonds on the case, 12 marquise-cut diamonds and 24 round-cut diamonds on the microstructure. In addition, 46 round-cut diamonds on the bridges of the microstructure and 60 diamonds on the flange.
CARL F. BUCHERER PRESENTS MASTERPIECE WITH FLOATING TOURBILLON.
Carl F. Bucherer presented the new Manero Tourbillon DoublePeripheral. It’s an elegant and exclusive timepiece, that features the globally unique CFB T3000 manufacture caliber. The classically round case, with a diameter of 43 mm, made from 18-karat rose gold. It provides a harmonious and elegant setting for the new CFB T3000 manufacture movement, developed entirely in-house by Carl F. Bucherer. The movement has also been certified as a chronometer by the official Swiss Chronometer Institute (COSC).
YUNIK – a brand with a strong identity.
YUNIK wristwatches are unusual, different and beautiful – just like their wearers. They are made of Murano glass with the greatest respect for this mysterious craft. These timepieces combine an Italian design and a Swiss quality with quartz and self-winding movements. Each piece of Murano glass is unique, both in terms of colour and form. Each watch is hand-made, with an affordable price tag and infinite possibilities to choose from. Besides, out of respect for animals each watch can be ordered with a vegan strap.
The exhibition is a huge source of inspiration and creativity.
Besides new sophisticated timepieces, there is a wide range of fine jewellery and precious gemstones. In fact, Baselworld sets the direction for business development. Hence, establishes trends for luxury watches and jewellery industry for the next 12 months.
More details about Baselworld you can always find on its official website.
As usual, you are welcome to share your favourite exhibitors and masterpieces in the comments below. Also, You may want to check the last year’s exhibition -> BASELWORLD 2017.
Finally, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me -> GET IN TOUCH