Blausee is a small, gorgeous lake among the Swiss Alps not far from Bern. The lake is surrounded by a mysterious forest, which is in fact the natural park.
While walking through the forest, I felt as I was in some supernatural place. Mysterious trees and huge rocks, tunnels through the stones, and everything is so quiet! I had difficulty identifying sizes of the rocks as all of them were mossed, looked like everything was covered by one big green carpet. I felt like Alice in Wonderland, I was so small among enormous trees and rocks. Take your time in the forest, walk there, touch, listen, it’s a majestic and full of energy place. Although I was very excited to see the lake, I spent at least an hour wondering in the forest! :)
Good to know:
- How to get there by public transportation. Take a train from Zurich to Bern (1 h). Then, a train from Bern to Frutigen. Finally, take a bus #230 to the Kandersteg direction until the stop Blausee BE. The whole trip will take around 2 hours, but it’s comfortable and totally worth it.
- There is a big parking lot in front of the park for those of you, who prefers traveling by car.
- Entrance fee for the park: 7 CHF for adults. It also includes a short guided trip on a boat around the lake. The tour is in German, but the view speaks for itself! :) In addition, you can visit a small Blausee museum.
- There are also picnic areas and playground for kids around the lake.
- Furthermore, if you want to see the beauty of the lake at night, you can stay there at the charming 3* hotel. You can also visit the alpine organic trout farm (Bio Suisse), located next to the lake just behind the hotel.
- For a cosy lunch or dinner, there are 2 nice restaurants.
More information you can alway find on the official website blausee.ch.
Blausee is famous for its crystal clear water and its unique colour. The colour changes depends on sunlight, daytime and shores.
Sometimes it’s bright blue, but in a few minutes or from another side of the lake it’s emerald-green. I have never seen such a beautiful water. The reason of the colour is a mineral, which reflects the sunlight and gives this mesmerising hue. If you take a short (15-20 min) boat trip on the lake, you would learn more about this phenomenon. Though the tour is in German, as I said before, the view speaks for itself! :)
Because the water is so crystal clear you could see a lot of fish peacefully swimming, falling trees and a statue of a girl under the water. Of course, there is a tragic legend about this girl, and you can read all about it on the plate at the bridge.
The lake is small, so it’s easy to make a few rounds around it, enjoying views, forest and dynamic colours of the water.
I am sure, it is also gorgeous in the evening. If you did stay there overnight, feel free to share your photos and experience in the comments bellow.
Finally, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me -> GET IN TOUCH