The following article is not meant for people under 18 years old for most European countries, 21 years old for USA, 25 years old for Sweden and certain other countries with the same age regulation for digital content about beverages containing alcohol. If you aren’t above the legal drinking age in your country please leave this post and read another post under the travel section. :)
New Glenmorangie Spìos, Private Edition 9
I was delighted to attend launching and tasting of Glenmorangie Spìos in Zurich at the bar Rivington & Sons. In the stylish ambience, under the guidance of Dr Bill Lumsden, I had an opportunity to learn more about the brand and its new exclusive single malt.
At the beginning of the 20th century, rye whiskey was the drink of choice in the most prestigious salons in America. It even inspired some of the todays classic cocktails, such as the Manhattan. The golden era of the American rye whiskey also encouraged the brand’s Director of Whisky Creation, Dr Bill Lumsden. He used barrels, that previously held American rye whiskey, for a special spicy taste of Glenmorangie Spìos.
Good to know:
- The name Spìos, Scots Gaelic for ‘spice’, fully reflects the character of this exclusive whisky.
- Glenmorangie Spìos is the first Glenmorangie ever to be fully matured in American ex-rye whiskey casks.
- Smell: fresh and herbal with aromas of cherry, clove and candy with green grass notes. A splash of water releases even more crisp and clean notes.
- The whisky has a smooth taste, yet spicy texture, lots of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and creamy vanilla.
- Finish: rich, sweet and lasting with toffee, Brazil nut and a sparkle of citrus.
- The whisky is non-chill filtered and bottled at 46% vol.
- In Switzerland, you may purchase the Glenmorangie Spìos from 1 February 2018 for CHF 99 at selected stores.
With its award-winning Private Editions, Glenmorangie offers whiskey-lovers the opportunity to experience a rare and intriguing single malts:
- Sonnalta PX, 2009 – Gold Medal at the International Wine and Spirit Competition 2010 – IWSC.
- Finealta, 2011 – Gold Medal IWSC 2012.
- Artein, 2012 – Gold Medal IWSC 2013.
- Ealanta, 2013 – Gold Medal IWSC 2013 and World’s Best Whiskey of the Year in Jim Murray’s Whiskey Bible 2014.
- Companta, 2014 – Gold Medal at the San Francisco Spirit Awards 2014.
- Tùsail, 2015 – Gold Medal at the San Francisco Spirit Awards 2015.
- Milsean, 2016 – IWSC 2016 Gold Medal.
- Bacalta, 2017 – Gold Medal IWSC 2017.
- Spìos, 2018.
I really liked this new elegant and sophisticated whisky. Perhaps, I will try to create some of my favorite cocktails using Glenmorangie Spìos.
Stay tuned on our FOOD page for the latest news about the fine food and drinks.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me -> GET IN TOUCH.